ABOUT THE WLFD
The Windsor Locks Fire Department was organized in 1890 to serve and protect the town of Windsor Locks, CT. Located in an area of 9 square miles, midway between Hartford, CT and Springfield, MA, Windsor Locks is the home to Bradley International Airport, the second largest airport in New England. The members of the Windsor Locks Fire Department are on a volunteer basis and operate out of one station which protects approximately 12,000 residents. Although primarily residential, Windsor Locks is also home to several industrial facilities and businesses. Many of these businesses serve the airport and include major hotels, rental car agencies and large parking facilities. Add in the Connecticut River, Interstate 91 and an Amtrak railway and its easy to see that the Windsor Locks Fire Department is presented with many challenges in its daily battle to protect the town and its citizens.
Public Safety Complex
The Windsor Locks Fire Department makes its home at the Windsor Locks Public Safety Complex which was constructed in 1974 and is also home to the Police Department. Prior to 1974, the Fire Station was located on Oak St in the downtown area on the east end of town. But the growth of Bradley Airport and the surrounding west end of town made it more logical to have the emergency services located in a more central location to provide a better response time to all parts of town. A central location was found and the Public Safety Complex was built. A road had to be built in front of the complex which gave emergency vehicles access to both Elm Street and Spring Street. The road was appropriately named Volunteer Drive.